Using information from Item A analyse two reasons why Durkheim’s functions of religions are criticised.(10 marks)
Like men and women everywhere, the daily lives of some tribal people are a reflection of their beliefs and traditions. Rituals which to us may seem cruel and dangerous often serve a vital role in keeping law and order within a group, and are fundamental to identity. Practices like stick fighting, ritual whipping, bull jumping and scarification fulfil important functions. As well as showing that the culture is still strong and vibrant, they give participants pride in their heritage and a sense of belonging.
Please watch the Reggie Yates ‘Death in Chicago ‘ BBC documentary and answer the questions below (please note, there are a couple of swear words and adult themes so don’t watch with younger siblings!):
- Chicago is America’s ______ largest city
- How murders have there been in 2016 so far?
- Which social group is the most likely to be killed?
- How many African Americans were killed in 2015?
- How many African Americans were killed in Chigago last year?
- What does Jamal Green blame?
- What happened in Gresham?
- Why is Reggie distrustful of the police?
- Why do some people argue that the police have been misrepresented (unfairly represented) in the media?
- How many black on black shootings were there in 2015
- On average how often is someone shot in Chicago?
- How many guns were seized last year in Chicago?
- Why does the journalist feel so despondent about homicide rates in Chicago?
- What are many African American boys lacking in their lives?
- In your opinion, why might the constant message of ‘be a man’ help contribute to the cycle of violence that takes place in Chicago?
Describe how psychologists may approach a study of violent children differently from sociologists (4 marks).
ONE PARAGRAPH ONLY (4 minutes)
LINED PAPER PLEASE.
Discuss how far sociologists would agree that the main causes of riots is poverty. (12 marks)
- Please write your answer on A4 lined paper.
- You should only spend a maximum of 12 minutes writing the answer. Feel free to plan it first.
- Suggested structure:
- Introduction – define riots; where have they taken place; identify the complexity of reasons
- Paragraph 1 – agree with the statement and explain why poverty might help cause riots; give examples and use Marxism to support your argument
- Paragraph 2 – disagree and give an alternative reason. For example, you might utilise the New Right and argue that because most of the London rioters were teenage males, there has been a breakdown in parenting and discipline (by schools and police)
- Paragraph 3 – disagree with poverty being the only cause and give an alternative reason – Bauman blames consumerism and the resultant relative deprivation for example
- Paragraph 4 – disagree with poverty being the only cause and give an alternative reason – for example, you might discuss the breakdown in community in many places, ethnic division or perhaps unfair policing
- Conclude – which are the most important causes? Why are riots likely to take place again in the UK and the USA? Why don’t most people riot?
Choose a modern riot (from the last 50 years) and find out:
-Long term causes
-Short term causes
Please present in a poster format – add images and make it eye catching.
Here is the essay planning PowerPoint I used in lessons – the question is on there:
Here is the PowerPoint I created to help you understand the demands of a 33 mark question:
Writing a 33 mark answer
In the exam you should have around 50 minutes, so please try not to spend too long on this!
Here are some of the resources on functionalism I used:
Due date: December 2nd.