Describe how psychologists may approach a study of violent children differently from sociologists (4 marks).
ONE PARAGRAPH ONLY (4 minutes)
LINED PAPER PLEASE.
Discuss how far sociologists would agree that the main causes of riots is poverty. (12 marks)
- Please write your answer on A4 lined paper.
- You should only spend a maximum of 12 minutes writing the answer. Feel free to plan it first.
- Suggested structure:
- Introduction – define riots; where have they taken place; identify the complexity of reasons
- Paragraph 1 – agree with the statement and explain why poverty might help cause riots; give examples and use Marxism to support your argument
- Paragraph 2 – disagree and give an alternative reason. For example, you might utilise the New Right and argue that because most of the London rioters were teenage males, there has been a breakdown in parenting and discipline (by schools and police)
- Paragraph 3 – disagree with poverty being the only cause and give an alternative reason – Bauman blames consumerism and the resultant relative deprivation for example
- Paragraph 4 – disagree with poverty being the only cause and give an alternative reason – for example, you might discuss the breakdown in community in many places, ethnic division or perhaps unfair policing
- Conclude – which are the most important causes? Why are riots likely to take place again in the UK and the USA? Why don’t most people riot?
Choose a modern riot (from the last 50 years) and find out:
-Long term causes
-Short term causes
Please present in a poster format – add images and make it eye catching.
Here are the PowerPoints from the last few lessons – please scroll down and tackle the last few questions: