Assess the view that cults, sects and New Age movements are fringe organisations that are inevitably short-lived and of little influence in contemporary society. (20 marks)
Intro – quick definitions of cults, sects and NAMs. Also give a little background about NRMs and when they became popular.
This question needs to be answered in three parts:
1. Are cults, sects and New Age movements fringe organisations (Slide 37, 38, 39, 40, 68)?
2. Are cults, sects and New Age movements inevitably short lived (Slides 32, 33, 61, )?
3. Are cults, sects and New Age movements of little influence in contemporary society (Slides 44, 46, 51, 52, 53, 72, 73, 74)?
– When you answer each question, make sure that you compare cults, sects and New Age movements because they are significantly different from one another.
– Refer to our key case studies: Cults – The Unification Church (the Moonies); Scientology. Sects – Isis, The People’s Temple, Branch Davidians, Amish, Mormons