Please read this really interesting article (h_w_woodhead-muslim-women) by Leila Hadj-Abdou and Linda Woodhead, and answer the following questions:
- The article states that Muslims have become a “point of political contestation” since the 1990s. What does this statement mean?
- Why is gender at the centre of this?
- What three things have mobilised Muslims?
Feel free to skip pages 3-5
- When did Britain appoint its first Muslim female mayor?
- How many Muslims live in the UK?
- How many British Muslim women are economically inactive?
- How many Austrian Muslims have citizenship?
- Are Muslim women always allowed to wear the nigab, hijab etc in the UK?
- What are the aims of Protect Hijab?
- Do Muslim women have a national voice?
- What is Protect Hijab’s slogan and what does it mean?