- Most of you need to apply more sociologists. Here are some that were used by students in the class:
Coontz; Fletcher; Parsons; Gibson; Goode; Beck and Gernsheim; Sharpe; Giddens; Hart; Allan and Crow; Mitchell and Goody; Leech
- Always link back to the question; some of you fell into the trap of writing about marriage and/or not linking your reason back to why this might increase divorce
- None of you considered why divorce rates have plateaued in the past decade (with a slight increase recently) http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/jan/28/divorce-rates-marriage-ons
- Terms/ideas some of you used:
patriarchy; stigma; norms and values; secularization; confluent love; plastic sexuality; empty shell marriage; socialisation; egalitarian; nuclear family
- Some of you focused too much on women and whilst this is a very important factor, men are obviously heavily involved too!